Saturday 29 September 2007

church, chess and cheese

i've told myself aldl week that i was going to wake up at 7:15, have good thoughts until i burst out of bed, then have a good old-fashioned kick-a** day, just like granny used to have. surely someone's granny used to do that.

well, i must have forgotten to tell myself i had the morning off. 7:15, and my eyes went 'boing!' and my thoughts went "oh i love this and i love that and i love this and i love that" until about 15 minutes later when my son woke up. it being my morning to get up with him, off i went, albeit in a very good mood. ordinarily, i'd tell myself now that i don't need to have the 7:15 wake-up call again tomorrow, as normally sunday is glorious sleep-in-day. well, we want my daughter to go to a particular school. this school is associated with the cathedral in our area. attendance is not mandatory, but it pretty much opens the door for entry to the school. so tomorrow, my hind end is on a pew. funny that your hind end can either emit or sit on a pew. (sorry, had to do that.)

i remember dreading this experience at the beginning of the summer. i was determined to have a good, quality summer filled with an abundance of sleeping in on sundays. come fall, i was going to have to give that up. well, now that i have totally shifted my perspective, i really think 'wow. what better place to sit and just feel good than a place where everyone's thinking good thoughts?' it will be interesting to attend the service, now that i have a different meaning for the vocabulary normally found in church.

but i started out as a person who was dragged to church as a child - that organization mentioned in my first post with the plates and the wives and the "oh my god you drank caffeine?! you will not be saved!" then i was deliriously happy that i didn't have to go there anymore - well mom was 5 hours away. she wasn't going to drive down to the residence halls and make me go........was she? now, i get it. "oh you mean god. yeah, god gives good parking spaces. and i don't think he cares too much that i call him 'hey u'."

and i should stop saying 'so if nothing else comes out of this', because so much already has, but if nothing else comes out of this at least i'm very happy to go to church for my daughter's educational enhancement, an act i used to refer to as taking one for the team. oh i'm not going to tell my husband that i like going. then he'll renege on the deal to take us to starbucks after. and that's not god's will..... ;)

now to add something so that my only reader (hi mom!) has something to read that i didn't actually say to her on the phone earlier.

as recently as last month i described my husband as 'just that grumpy guy who shouts at my kids'. well the grumpiness has diminished, through no small amount of me repeating "'my husband likes to be in good moods" (note the phrasing i can believe). tonight my daughter and i bought a chess set; she's been wanting to learn, and on some level somewhere i knew he'd enjoy teaching her. tonight i momentarily thought "oh he'll be annoyed and say he doesn't have time." i countered that with "b likes to play chess and will enjoy teaching m to play." we got home, and after a certain 2 year old was toddled into a crib, the 8 year old got out the chess set. i didn't even finish the thought "oh you look busy" before just thinking "stop." i let it play out. he interrupted me in the middle of my dishwashing to tell me that the chess set was missing a piece. i went "oh?" and told them to box it up i still had the receipt for returning it tomorrow. when i got in the room, they were playing anyway. yay!!!!!!

yet another amazing thing today was that there i was, in primark (clothing store), along with everyone else in the known universe. the lines were breaking 'holly's law of queueing', which states that holly shall not queue. i don't believe it is in my divine interest to queue. well, if i'd have adhered to 'holly's law of queueing', i'd have broken 'holly's law of not giving up some really cool stuff she wants for some silly queueing law'. you see the dilemma. but armed with the law of attraction i merely asked for the queue to move along quickly.
ho
ly
crap
within a minute, there was a staff member asking the person in front of me if they were in the queue. 'no' came the response. where were the people in front of her?
they
had
disappeared!
my heart skipped 1.5 beats!!! i mean not ALL of the people were gone. but an entire leg of the queue (went from 3 zigzags to 2!) was gone. and what remained of the queue moved really quickly.

i am SO LOVING THIS STUFF!!!! now i know people are going to read this and say "this is just beyond belief. she can't possibly be experiencing all this." i welcome such a person to follow me around for a day. well, actually, no, i don't truly welcome someone with negative thoughts to be so close to me for an extended period of time. but they could watch me from a distance. that would be okay.

okay. must sleep now. church is early.

there was no cheese. i just like that it phonetically tripled up with church and chess nicely. if you were truly wanting something about cheese, particularly with respect to church and chess, i'll see what i can do.

7 comments:

Vanessa said...

Hi there!!

I have just come across your blog via Jeanette's LOA blog. I love yours. I really like your style of writing, and I think I saw that you are based in the UK (the post-office story-so true!). So that resonated with me as I am a Brit now living in Spain. I will certainly direct some of my clients to your blog;I just like what you have to say. If you have time, do take a look at my blog. They are nothing more than "musings", but you "might" find something inspirational.
Happy blogging

holly said...

okay WHOA! this is SO freaky. *i* WAS on your site yesterday! my son distracted me and i didn't get a chance to leave a comment on yours, but i SWEAR i really was on your site! i love your site! i totally loved your take on rocky.

yay! hi! oh you are so making it into my blog! a mention and a link!

(okay holly settle down!)

Good Vibe Coach said...

Okay, the "Holly shall not queue" commandment is cracking me up!!

You've got quite a fun style, Holly. Thanks for posting your link on my blog! You deserve good traffic. Keep up the great posts!

And Vanessa, nice to see you here! I'm visiting yours next!

My my, what DID we do before blogs? lol

Love to all!

holly said...

oh this is so great. really glad you enjoyed the site. you, too, are very welcome here!

thanks for the positive feedback, too! my head is a great big swirly thing now.

a whole great big ton of love to both you gals!

Vanessa said...

Hi Holly and Jeanette.

Holly: Thank you so much for your lovely comments on your blog. I will certainly do a link to yours (when I've worked out how!!!). Your comments were very sweet. And what a coincidence you were on my site the day before.
Jeanette: I would love you to look at my blog and leave your comments. Likewise I will "try" and leave a link also (must be easy as everyone does it??)
Thanks guys!!!

Vanessa said...

Hey Holly

Just had a thought.
How about some pictures of you on your blog? It's always nice to put a face to a name.

holly said...

good suggestion. i have only recently lifted the 'holly picture ban' since i've lost 34 pounds. now i can be viewed. :)