Monday 17 September 2007

initial trials

that first week after listening to all four cds in the car was just amazing. by friday my feet weren't really touching the ground, i was so high. and lovely things were happening. the sun was a little sunnier, the grass was a little greener. i had never felt so good in my entire life. and i'd been to a barry manilow concert! (street cred alert: i also listen to a myriad of other artists, but i do love barry!) let me rephrase : i had never felt so good in my entire life, and i'd been given morphine! (my daughter was 10 weeks early, there were issues.)

i'd been experiencing the loveliness before The Secret. i had been wanting company x to need a software engineer for quite some time, and in the month before receiving the secret cds, i had gotten a call about such a position. i had the right level of experience, and only my nationality kept me out of the running. then my friend, a former coworker told me that i dodged a bullet, as i wouldn't want to work there because it was a lot more geared to consultancy than what i was looking for. i decided not to feel bad about it, as i was getting what i wanted (a call about company x), but because the opportunity wasn't what i wanted, it didn't go further. niiiice.

i was really ready for something a little more concrete to start happening regularly. on monday evening, my daughter had a golf class. while she was in her lesson, i went to weigh-in at weight watchers. i had been hoping all day for a pound off. on the drive to her lesson, she listened to one of the cds with me. i asked her 'what do you want?' she replied 'i want to pass my golf test.' 'okay then, what would it feel like to do that,' i asked her. she got a great big smile on her face. i said 'pretend it has happened, and thank the universe.' she did that. then i said 'i'm hoping i've lost a pound.' my lovely daughter said 'why not go for 3?' thanks sweetheart. leave it to the children. i didn't know about that. but in that moment i thought, let's put it to the test. 'okay,' i said, 'i want to lose 3 pounds!' i took a big breath, felt what it would feel like to lose 3 pounds, and thanked the universe as if it had already happened. i then told my daughter that the rest of the drive, we really have to focus on feeling good. 'do you feel good?' i asked her. she said she felt okay. i asked her what thoughts make her feel good, and explained that when i have trouble feeling good, i think about her and her brother. so she decided to think about her little brother, too.
i dropped her off at her lesson, and headed off for the weigh-in. i concentrated on feeling good the whole way there. 20 minutes after re-launching the intention, i stood on the scales and was amazed at the 2.5 pounds i'd lost.
'oh
my
god,'
i thought. i know the leader said some congratulatory things to me, but my head was swirling, as all day i'd really hoped like heck for the pound, and then at the last minute i'd clocked up 2.5! all of my rational-minded friends would say 'oh holly! coincidence, dummy!' but how many coincidences do you have to experience before you say 'hmmm.... perhaps not so much?'
AND, my daughter passed her golf test so well that if she'd got another point she'd have gotten a distinction!

the next day, i decided to kick it up a notch with the parking space thing. i visualized the parking space i wanted at work, next to my friend's car. then i just sat there and felt good the rest of the way to work, which was tricky because there were a lot of zombie drivers out that morning. i thought about attracting the right to revoke some people's license, but that didn't sound very LOA. i didn't look at the parking availability until i was right at the turning spot in the spot i wanted. it was there, right next to my friend's car! and it was the only spot left!

well, then i set to getting my old hard drive working. my daughter and i had started writing a story a couple years ago, and after five chapters, the hard drive failed. yes, thank you, i should have backed it up. i had tried different things to get the drive back, but none of them worked. i even took it to my sys admin friends. no joy. well, this week was shaping up to be the week of it. i plugged the drive in. i wrote the error message down again, and tried the first suggestion that google could offer. bingo! i had a hard drive! and there was our story WHICH i quickly backed up to another drive!

this was motivating! if nothing else, i sure as heck felt really good. it felt better than just sitting there letting stuff happen without intending anything.

tomorrow: i get yet another parking spot and a whole pile of playdoh. stay tuned!

No comments: